Go Back   CountyLineGaming Forums > General Forums > Gaming

Old 08-27-2016, 03:21 AM   #1
Reki Wylls
Illusion of Time

Reki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Reki Wylls
Default Top _ Most Important Games of All Time

When I get bored, I think about things and that usually ends up in weird projects. This time, I've been wondering about a list of the most important, "unmissable" games of all time--the ones that if you haven't played or experienced, at least in part, then you're missing a critical piece in your resume.
"How do you critique platformers if you haven't played Super Mario World?"

So, CLG, this is a list too big for me to tackle on my own and I'm enlisting your help! Leave your suggestions below and I'll add them to the list! Once we feel like we've exhausted the well, we can get to culling it down to some arbitrary number.

With that in mind, here are the guidelines you want to follow:
  • You're looking for the most important games of all time, not necessarily the best.
  • Multiple games from the same franchise are fine as long as they are all distinctly important (ex: Super Mario World and Mario 3). If in doubt, pick the one that makes you think of the series, i.e. the definitive one.
  • If it's one of your favorite games of all time, it probably deserves a mention even if it doesn't make the final, final list.
  • Don't worry about genre representation. If we have a metric ass-tonne of RPGs, but few shooters, that's fine.
  • That said, a list of the most important games should probably have at least one from each genre.
  • Just because it was a decade in the making doesn't mean the pile of dogshit that is Duke Nukem Forever belongs on this list. Similarly, unless FFXV is amazing/brings a lot of people into the style of game/becomes some cultural phenomenon, it probably doesn't belong either.
  • Try to provide justification for your suggestions. We can cull this later, but it's easier if we're relatively judicious from the get-go. Feel free to question other people's suggestions/stuff on the list if you aren't convinced.

---

I've already asked some of my friends and added some of my own suggestions, so here's the list so far:

The List (Alphabetical)
Spoiler!

Don't forget to check out the companion thread, Top _ Most Influencial Games (Personal), where we make lists of the games that defined us personally as gamers.

Last edited by Reki Wylls; 09-06-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Reki Wylls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
Reki Wylls
Illusion of Time

Reki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond reputeReki Wylls has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Reki Wylls

List has been updated with the following games:
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Dark Souls
  • Metal Gear Solid 1
  • Metal Gear Solid 2