Go Back   CountyLineGaming Forums > General Forums > Technology

Old 08-21-2016, 12:10 AM   #1
JMShearer
Weeee!

JMShearer is a glorious beacon of lightJMShearer is a glorious beacon of lightJMShearer is a glorious beacon of lightJMShearer is a glorious beacon of lightJMShearer is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to JMShearer Send a message via AIM to JMShearer Send a message via Skype™ to JMShearer
Default PC Gaming N00B Seeking Assistance

Well, really not so much a noob as much as someone whose knowledge set is insanely out of date, and even when it wasn't, was minimal at best. I'm starting with the qualifier here because I may as well get some basic explaining done first. Most of my PC gaming knowledge and experience comes from those idle moments when I could get on and play a bit of Diablo II, GTA 3, or whichever Unreal Tournament game was new at about that time. Worse yet, most of the actual setup work for these games was actually the handiwork of my kid brother.

I bring all this up because I finally did get around to replacing my old Vista PC, which was just about shot and really couldn't handle much more than light gaming to begin with, and I went into the process with the idea that maybe I should get into some of the newer games that the old PC couldn't handle as a means of helping myself keep my hands out of the cookie jar while I work on some rather major weight issues. In the process of getting everything set up, sorted out and squared away, I came to realize that my actual knowledge of PC gaming is the sort of thing that gets flushed when I use the toilet in the morning.

Essentially, what this means is that I know so little about this that I'm not even really sure where to begin or what questions to ask about all this. Fortunately, this seems like a good bunch of people to come to with all this, so I may as well take advantage of the resource.

Here are some details that might help:
I'm running an HP 510-a010 with Windows 10 Home; the processor is an AMD A8-7410 APU with ADM Radeon Graphics.
I'm into RPGs, mostly, as evidenced by the Text Plays I've done on my blog and shared here.
I should add that I'm at least considering getting into doing full-on LPs at some point, too, but that's a little more advanced than I really need or want to get right now.

For now, I suppose what I'm looking for are games that can be played primarily with keyboard and/or mouse and where I might be able to find them on the cheap, as I really don't have an especially large budget to work with.

Also, my irregularly updated series on Channel Awesome, Looking Back. Most Recent Issue: Digimon Frontier and beyond
JMShearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:24 AM   #2
Brutey
The Silent Evoker

Brutey will become famous soon enoughBrutey will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brutey

Check out Good Old Games.com sometime. Obviously, a lot of the stuff they have is older, but there's some newer on there too. They have a lot of the 90s PC RPGs that might fit your interest, since you mentioned playing Diablo 2. Pretty sure they update everything to work on Modern Operating Systems, so there's no problem there. Most of the older stuff tends to be 9.99 USD and under - Very nice for budgeted gaming, and a *very* nice selection.

And the other easy/convenient answer would be Steam, with it's holiday and seasonal large-scale sales, and it's weekly/daily smaller scale sales you can end up with all kinds of stuff (even stuff released within the last six months) for very cheap. You'd just have to look around there for stuff that catches your interest, 'cause Steam has a large enough collection between re-releases of older games, and the newer stuff. Be warned, though, Steam doesn't release older games reworked to work properly on modern operating Systems, so you might have to fudge with the game if it's from before like, 2007.
"Are you a tomato? No...You aren't" - Brute
We're the best kind of dicks - Anstca
"I'm in love with the dick"
My only qualification is 'Sarcastic Snarker'
Brutey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:11 AM   #3
JMShearer
Weeee!

JMShearer is a glorious beacon of lightJMShearer is a glorious beacon of lightJMShearer is a glorious beacon of lightJMShearer is a glorious beacon of lightJMShearer is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to JMShearer Send a message via AIM to JMShearer Send a message via Skype™ to JMShearer

I'll certainly give those a shot. Sounds like Good Old Games has some nifty stuff in my price range, and I remember at least looking into Steam at one point. I'll give them a look. Thanks, Brutey!

Also, my irregularly updated series on Channel Awesome, Looking Back. Most Recent Issue: Digimon Frontier and beyond
Old 08-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
Danny
Dream Master

Danny will become famous soon enoughDanny will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Danny

GOG (Good Old Games) is great for getting PC games that are not the newest, even though they have new ones as well. One huge advantage that they are (so far) is that the games are DRM-free, you actually own the game after the purchase. Another advantage is the stuff you sometimes get with the game. Some games comes with DLC, Soundtrack, art and wallpapers and that for a reasonable price.

Don't forget to check out Humble Bundle every month. They offer a bundle of games that can be rather fun to mess around with for a great price as well.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #5
JMShearer
Weeee!

Good Old Games sounds like quite the place, and since both you and Brutey recommend it, I'll probably start there. From what I've seen you guys saying in the shout at the top of the forums, it sounds like there's some good stuff there, too.

Thanks for the recommendations, Danny. I'll check them out.